I am going to post a few thoughts over the next few days about transition. I am interested in this for a number of reasons:
- Transition is very key as we can often miss our way at that time.
- We are in a season of finding new fields / being more strongly established in a current one.
- There are gates that are becoming a focus. Many will be transitioned to embrace one or more.
- We are now 14 years on from Toronto!!! Trust the presence of the Spirit of God is still fresh for you?
- There are personal reasons too. 10 years ago I made a transition when the Lord said: “what you are doing at the beginning of 98 you will not be doing by the end of 98.” I have been strongly exercised to look at the next few years aware that any shifts that will come need to be prepared for now. So in 3 years time (?) perhaps I will only be doing 10% that correlates to what I am doing now. Don’t hold me to that!!
I expect to comment on: understanding personal transition; understanding personal time-lines; and on organisational transition.
First then a few comments on personal transition and I will expand on this tomorrow:
- before I am ready for it
- it comes sooner than I expected it
- it comes before I have finished everything I had anticipated completing
- the larger transitions are marked by a measure of crisis
- there will be an element of grief and it is important to let that work its cleansing power
- how one leaves the last setting will be a key as to how one enters the next one.